Feb 21 2011

Dessert Buffet: Red Velvet Cheesecake Bites

Published by at 7:29 am under Food,Parties,Recipes,What's Baking Challenge

For Easter of 2004, my college roommate Noelle wasn’t going home so she came to my family’s celebration which includes a full-on Easter egg hunt with money in each egg.  The family gets fueled by decades of competition but it was a miserable, rainy crappy day and after a few minutes, Noelle decided to wait out the hunt on my Grandparents’ porch.  That’s when my lovable but, well, let’s say, blunt Grandfather who becomes less concerned with the repercussions of his comments with each passing year, says to Noelle, “I hope you don’t quit like that on everything you do.  You’ll never get a man that way.”

He must have underestimated Noelle’s resolve because she most definitely found a man and she’s going to marry him in September.  In celebration, another friend and I planned an engagement party–the purpose and timing lent itself to a Valentine’s Day theme but this is a very laid back, no nonsense couple so we planned a very loose V-day theme, mostly based in a rich dessert buffet.  For the next week, I’ll be posting the buffet piece by piece, beginning with a dual-purpose post.

The February What’s Baking Challenge was to bake with love, that is, a Valentine-appropriate dish.  And how better to be inspired to bake with love than to prepare for the engagement party of a good friend?

Baked with love had to involve some special flavors and look beautiful on the buffet table–and what better way to embody an engagement than to marry two different but complementary flavors in one perfect bite?

Red Velvet Cheesecake Bites

• 1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour

Cheesecake layer

• 2 8 ounce packages cream cheese, softened
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract

Preheat the oven to 350˚F. Grease and flour an 10×15-inch jelly roll pan, and set aside. Add melted butter to a large bowl then add the following ingredients, in this order, stirring after each addition: sugar, vanilla, cocoa powder, salt, food coloring and vinegar. Whisk the eggs in a small bowl and then stir into the cocoa mixture. Fold in the flour just until combined. (Don’t overmix!) Set aside at least 1/2 cup of the batter for the top; pour the rest of the batter in the baking pan, spreading evenly across the bottom.

For the cheesecake layer, beat the cream cheese, sugar, eggs, and vanilla in a medium bowl until smooth. Carefully spread the cream cheese mixture on top of the brownie batter in the pan, then plop spoonfuls of the remaining brownie batter over the cream cheese. Drag the tip of a knife through the red velvet and the cream cheese to create swirls. Bake for 30 minutes or just until the center of the cheesecake part is set. Let cool completely on a wire rack before cutting.  Use mini cookie cutters to create the bites–I used the heart cutter from this Wilton set.  Save the scraps for your husband :)

I sorted through lots of recipes to find one that respected both the cheesecake and red velvet parts–some just used red food coloring in a brownie mix and called it red velvet which is like cheating.  This one actually uses the touch of cocoa and the vinegar to impart that subtle but distinct red velvet flavor.

I couldn’t have asked for a better representation of both “baked with love” and a celebration of engagement.  These went fast, part because they have a great balance of flavors, part because they are pop-in-your-mouth sized and part because they are just so cute.  Great addition to the buffet and the color and shape I chose were perfect for the theme, although a different shape could make them just as appropriate for Christmas, Fourth of July or any other party.

One thing to be careful of–the bites on the edges of the pan can dry out fast so make sure to take them out as soon as the center is set.  Doing this, I had generally uniform bites with some of the edge ones slightly drier and cake-like and some of the middle ones slightly fudgier and brownie-like.

All were delicious and certainly baked with love for two dear friends.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

25 responses so far

25 Responses to “Dessert Buffet: Red Velvet Cheesecake Bites”

1. Ammieon 21 Feb 2011 at 9:37 am

These look so yummy! Nice job!

2. Lacey @ dishfolio.comon 21 Feb 2011 at 4:30 pm

These look so, so good! We’d love for you to share your recipe at dishfolio.com!

3. Desi @ SteakNPotatoesKindaGurlon 23 Feb 2011 at 1:41 am

These are super cute! I came across your blog from a blog hop, so glad I did! You have several recipes I can’t wait to try, including that chocolate french toast with strawberry cream! I am your newest follower :)

Check out my blog and follow back if you like!

4. Lindseyon 24 Feb 2011 at 9:28 am

Thanks!

5. Joyful Bakeron 30 Jun 2011 at 6:46 pm

Looks so delicious! I can’t wait to try these out!

6. Lindseyon 30 Jun 2011 at 9:49 pm

:) We were not able to stop popping these in our mouths–so little but so delish!

7. Christaon 23 Nov 2011 at 11:58 pm

Are we supposed to refrigerate after done or have them left out?

8. Lindseyon 24 Nov 2011 at 7:30 am

Refrigerate until serving, but they can be left on a buffet table for a few hours and be fine. Refrigerate any leftovers.

9. Autumnon 19 Dec 2011 at 6:15 pm

This recipe is such a great idea! I was looking for something different for Christmas so I am going to try this recipe but use Christmas cookie cutters. I was curious if you baked the cheesecake and red velvet cake at the same time for 30 minutes. I know that may seem like a silly question but I wanted to make sure. Thanks for the great idea!!

10. Lindseyon 19 Dec 2011 at 6:18 pm

Yup, the two batters just get layered on top of one another and baked altogether for 30 minutes. Don’t bake one then the other. The Christmas cutters idea sounds awesome and will look so festive with the red and white! Good luck!

11. […] a more perfect dessert for your honey this Valentine’s day. Thank you so much to Lindsey of Our Share Of The Harvest for the […]

12. Meganon 11 Feb 2012 at 1:21 am

What kind of food coloring do you use? Just the liquid stuff? Or gel?
    Thanks!!

13. Lindseyon 12 Feb 2012 at 9:20 pm

I used the gel–it gives a more vibrant red when mixed into the chocolatey batter.

14. a day of hearts « linen paperon 14 Feb 2012 at 8:30 pm

[…] cookies can be found here and the cheesecake bites here, via Bon Appetit, who compiled an awesome blogroll about 18 ways you can make red velvet-themed […]

15. Phoebeon 03 Mar 2012 at 9:55 am

Looks so deelish! What a great idea

16. […] “Dessert Buffet: Red Velvet Cheesecake Bites” by Our Share of the Harvest […]

17. […] Recipe and Tutorial for the red Velvet Cheese Cake at Share our Harvest  Freeze whipped cream on a cookie sheet, use cookie cutter to cut out hearts and serve with hot […]

18. Aaliyaon 17 Oct 2013 at 1:43 pm

Hi, how would I adapt the baking time of this recipe if using mini cheesecake pans?

19. Lindseyon 18 Oct 2013 at 8:28 am

It depends on how deep the pans are and how high you fill them. The best rule of thumb for cheesecakes is that you should take them out when the sides are golden brown and the middle just slightly jiggles when you gently slide the pan back and forth. If it still looks liquid-y and jiggles a lot or the skin on the top hasn’t formed, you have to leave it in longer. If you have the skin set and just the middle wobbles a bit, it will be perfectly set once it cools. Good luck!

20. Vivianaon 27 Oct 2013 at 10:40 pm

how would i store these???

21. Lanaon 02 Jan 2014 at 10:49 pm

I made these to serve at a wedding reception on New Years Day 2014 and they turned out GREAT! Will use this recipe again and again!

22. canadianerinon 05 Feb 2014 at 1:56 pm

can I freeze this in the pan, and cut later? I’m looking to pre make a bunch of things for my wedding in june…..how long can I say that I can freeze these? I’m thinking if I make them a month out….as long as I am careful to cover it properly?

…maybe? any help would be much appreciated.

23. Lindseyon 05 Feb 2014 at 3:37 pm

To be honest, I haven’t frozen them but anything like this freezes best when wrapped in a few layers of cellophane then again in a few layers of foil. You can definitely get a month out of baked goods when frozen that way. Brownies freeze well so it’s the cheesecake component I’d be a little nervous about–so, if you find some good instructions on freezing cheesecake, follow those.

Good luck and congratulations!!

24. Lindseyon 05 Feb 2014 at 3:40 pm

Oh no! Not sure what happened but I’m only seeing this comment now, months later! I hope you found storage that worked for you. For anyone else, they can hang out at room temperature for awhile but they should go to the fridge for longer than a few hours.

25. Cicion 13 Feb 2014 at 10:55 am

I wanted to make less than this recipe calls for. I thought I’d cut it in half. Have you tried that? If yes, what size pan did you use?

Trackback URI | Comments RSS